Infertility is a frustrating thing for couples. It can be more frustrating to know that in one-fifth of infertility cases, the causes are not known. For centuries, alternative therapies like acupuncture have been used to treat some causes of infertility. In this modern day, this treatment is getting even more popular. According to the theory of traditional Chinese medicine, humans have energy flowing along lines called meridians that run through the body. When the meridians are blocked, the flow of energy will be disrupted. This condition can cause many health problems, and one of them is infertility. To improve the flow of this energy, acupuncturists use needles inserted under your skin. The use of needles will make the body function differently. The treatment will help in vivo fertilization and for couples who undergo in vitro fertilization, obtaining acupuncture treatment beforehand will help the embryo transfer. In males, acupuncture is considered to be able to improve sperm formation while in females it is able to promote optimal hormonal balance. For many years, scientific studies have been conducted to link between acupuncture and fertility.
Today, there is more scientific support that explains how acupuncture can help women to have a baby. This result relieves couples who want to have baby after years of unsuccessful attempts.
Nowadays, more clinics offer acupuncture treatments to help couples obtain a higher chance to conceive. If you also have problem with fertility, it’s worth trying this treatment. Below are some tips about the use of acupuncture to treat infertility:
1. It is recommended that you visit an acupuncturist who is certified by the National Commission for the Certification of Acupuncturists. A certified acupuncturist has proper knowledge about the treatment thus you can totally rely on his treatment service.
2. Visiting a therapist who is involved with a major medical center would be an advantage for you. This therapist is usually up to date with the latest developments in acupuncture.
3. Ask your therapist to use surgical stainless steel needles.
4. Before starting the treatment, make sure that your schedule permits you to visit the clinic once or twice in a week. You should have enough leisure time since the treatment consists of numerous sessions.
5. It is important for you to take a pregnancy test before obtaining the treatment. If you are pregnant and you don’t know about it, the wrong treatment can harm your baby. Acupuncture in pregnant women should be performed carefully, since there are some points where acupuncture needles should not be inserted. These points are stomach, spleen, bladder, large intestine and gallbladder.
6. It is a good idea to make an appointment with the acupuncturist to discuss the treatment that you will undergo. This way allows you to know the location of the clinic. It also enables you to know if the acupuncture practitioner is credible.
7. You should realize that acupuncture has some risks even though they are very low. When you start the treatment and you are unknowingly pregnant, you have the possibility of miscarriage.
8. Acupuncture also has some negative effects especially if you are suffering from certain illnesses. Diabetes, bleeding disorder, hepatitis or uncontrolled thyroid conditions are some health problems that can complicate the acupuncturist. Thus, it is recommended that you consult your doctor to know about your health conditions.
9. Research is important to do if you want to get high quality treatment. Obtaining information about patients’ experiences is a good way to know the best treatment. These people can be found in online forums. You can also gather information through blogs about people who have undergone acupuncture or obtain referral from friends. Information from friends or relatives would be more convincing than from other people.
10. If you want to get the most from your treatment, it is advised that you change your lifestyle. Healthy eating will help you improve your health. You can improve it even more by doing proper exercises regularly.
Those are some tips you can apply to optimize your acupuncture treatment. To sum up, obtaining enough information about the treatment is the key to obtaining a successful result.