We are living at a very fast pace with lots to do and little time for recreation or relaxation. We have portable computers and mobile cell phones that we carry around our waists all the time so that we are available 24/7 to our bosses and family members. It almost seems as if we have forgotten how to disconnect from the modern world and this increases our chances of feeling stressed out or experiencing anxiety. The frequency of anxiety-based issues is becoming more frequent.
The demands of our modern life styles push us to do more instead of less and we tend to increase the complexity of our lives rather than to simplify them. When you feel overwhelmed, hopeless and tired it is important that you are able to seek the assistance of a professional to help you recognize the symptoms of anxiety and know if you really are experiencing anxiety or panic attacks.
Here are some simple tips for dealing with anxiety. However, these do not replace professional help. The most common tips for handling anxiety are:
• Seek advice: This is the most important tip. Talk to a friend or loved one about how you feel. Sometimes we need to get things off of our chests and feel heard and understood. Talk to a trusted friend, doctor or family member about how you feel and what you are experiencing.
• Exercise: When we exercise we release endorphins, the “feel good” hormones that reduce pain, anxiety and depression. Go for a walk, join a fitness club or just stretch. These activities will help you feel better emotionally and physically.
• Yoga: Yoga is known as a great method for relaxation. Yoga can be as gentle as you want or as energetic or dynamic. Make the practice yours and make sure it fits your lifestyle. Join a yoga club or watch yoga videos online if you feel overly conscious about the poses.
• Meditation: The purpose of meditation is to take your mind to a pleasant place, some people meditate on their breathing, others meditate on words (mantras), while others just follow the flow of their thoughts without getting caught up in their own inner dialogue. However you decide to do it, meditation provides relief from our congested mental thoughts so we are able to view situations from a different perspective. There are almost unlimited resources for meditation styles from breathing, mystical meditation, insight meditation and other forms from different spiritual traditions.
• Mental programming: Listen to positive meditation Cd’s or audios. Watch or listen to motivational speakers or life coaches. Find a mentor or positive role in your life.
• Massage: How often do you pamper yourself? You don’t need to have physical pain or soreness to get the extra benefits of a professional massage. If you can’t afford one, ask your spouse or partner to give you one; or even better, offer to exchange massages… you rub my back and I’ll rub yours. Massage releases happy hormones and relaxes you wonderfully.
• Acupuncture: Ancient Chinese medicine modalities like acupuncture or acupressure can help you release energetic blockages in your body and get all your meridians working harmoniously. Find a professional, licensed acupuncturist.
• Reflexology: This technique also will help you relax and if you learn how to do it you can give yourself foot or hand reflexology massages. Reflexologists believe that the pressure points on our palms and feet are associated with different organs and mental states like anxiety. Get a good instructional video or book… this is a wonderful self-help technique.
• Nutrition: Maybe it is time to make some adjustments in your diet. Are you consuming too many caffeinated products, or products that are over processed with little nutritional value. Eliminate excessive sugar from your diet because sugar, like caffeine, can cause you to be jittery and overly hyper. Reduce the amount of heavy animal products in your meals. You might ask a dietician or professional nutritionist to assist you with your new dietary goals. The benefits will double if you consistently observe a healthy diet and combine it with exercise
• Guided relaxation techniques: These techniques will help you to achieve peace and a relaxed state. Relaxation therapy uses guided imagery, positive affirmations and subliminal messages to help you achieve a mental balance. By using positive visualization and progressive muscle relaxation you will be able to relax. Seek the assistance of a professional hypnotherapist or relaxation therapist or purchase an audio or CD produced by a certified hypnotist or relaxation therapist.
• Counseling: This is the golden tip that I highly recommend. Counseling is the best way to deal with long-term anxiety and to get you out of a dark hole if you find yourself trapped in one. Always seek the assistance of a licensed professional counselor or psychologist. I usually recommend counseling along with some of the above tips to double the benefits and achieve peace of mind and wellness.
All these techniques have, as their purpose, relaxation and stress reduction. They will help you achieve peace and tranquility and deal with the symptoms of anxiety. For most people relaxation exercises are the easiest to use to reduce anxiety. One of the most common tips is to listen to audio CDs and MP3s customized with your particular needs in mind.